Background

Monday, May 30, 2011

Senseless

Today is Memorial Day. Some, like my father, have spent their lives one day at a time to further the cause of freedom. Others have given their lives in very real ways. I don't understand war. But I am grateful that there are those who are willing to fight and die to preserve the kinds of freedoms that I enjoy.

I also don't understand why it happens so often that individuals who cause horrific accidents walk away with hardly a scratch. One of my friends had a brother who was hit by a drunk driver about a week ago. That guy walks away from the accident with only minor injuries, and this young man passed away this morning. He never woke up. He was young. He had so many years of his life ahead of him, but he can't live those now. He could have been someone's husband. He could have been someone's dad. Someone's grandpa, gramps, or papa.

These are the things I wish people would think about the next time they take that drink and get behind the wheel. Or grab the phone when it buzzes from a text. Don't do it.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry about your friend's brother. That is awful. I agree with everything you've said. I'll definitely be taking your advice!

    ReplyDelete