Background

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Not A Professional Photo Post

I am not a professional photographer. I don't even take pictures often enough to call it a hobby. I might know a little bit about F stops and depth of field and shutter speed. But I can't tell you what those are for these photos. It was just me sitting on my porch and getting excited that some of the first tulips I have ever planted (one of my favorite flowers) are almost ready to bloom.

And because I like to tinker, I decided to test out some of the automatic settings on my PhD (push here dummy) camera. Don't get me wrong, this is a nice camera. And I like it a lot. But I am aware of its limitations as well as strengths.


This one is auto mode. I think that means...the camera decides automatically what the settings are. Yes, thank you...thank you...I'm a genius.


This one is in "natural" mode. Uh...let's say this one takes advantage of natural light? I probably should read the manual.


Portrait mode. I feel like the skin tones on the tulips are exceptional with this one. Except they don't have skin.


Landscape mode. Don't you feel like this shows the landscape to its fullest grandeur? Except it doesn't look all that different than the last one to me.


Sports mode. For taking fast-action shots. Totally appropriate since the wind was blowing and the tulips were moving.


Night mode. With a flash. I am feeling a bit...underwhelmed.


Sunset mode. I like this one. Sometimes the sun doesn't even have to be setting for this to be cool. In  uber-technical speak I think you would say it is "kinda orange-y."


Snow mode. Why would it wash out colors in snow mode? It seems like snow would already kind of do that.


Beach mode. I totally want to grab my beach towel and lay out in the sun. But only after I put on SPF 1000 and a shade hat and long sleeves and knee socks. I am worried about these flowers getting melanoma. I'm thinking of getting them an umbrella.


Underwater mode. I didn't have my waterproof case on, though. Again with the technical speak, this looks "bluish."


Museum mode. If you look really close you will see a little copy of a Monet inside the nearest peach bud.


Party mode. There is a few less blooms in this one because some of them just headed to the store for a keg. Of root beer. What were you thinking? Sheesh. This is a family-friendly blog.


And last but not least (drumroll please...) FLOWER MODE. Hold your applause. And let me know if you want your copy in 11x14, 20x42, or 1080x1690. Or something like that. I can totally blow this up to a poster size and put it on the side of a building. Your welcome world.

3 comments:

  1. This was really cool. Except for the uber-tech talk, which I don't understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are beautiful photos, and I know you want a new camera but the camera doesn't make the photographer! You have a great eye!

    ReplyDelete