Background

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Lemons to Lemonaid

For a little over a week now, I have been prepping to teach some very technical training at work. Nothing totally crazy, but I had two hours to prep and present for last week, and another six for today and tomorrow. I was getting some last minute items ready, and I got the word 15 minutes before hand that it was "postponed." Argh. Ugh. *$&#@.

Me - zero to frustrated in three seconds.

I would like to say that I handled this decision with dignity and grace. I kind of didn't. I spent time trying to understand the reasons and came up empty. The zero to frustrated might have had something to do with that. I may have expressed that frustration. To more than one person. I may have had to apologize to at least one individual.

My response made someone decide I needed a break from the office for a few hours. So I got to trek to a facility up one of the nearby canyons.

This particular canyon had several large rocks fall into the middle of the road last week.


The right side over there used to be the other half of the road. Scale is kind of hard to get across in little photos taken from my cell phone, but those cones are not the little lets-play-fusball-in-the-gym cones. They came up to about my waist. Big rocks.


That used to be the road. And our cables. Which don't work any more.



Tim: "Maybe we should dig around and see if we can find our cables and find a way to get them working again."
Me: "No thank you. I don't want to be the subject of a sequel to 127 Hours."


Way up there is where they came from. And in this picture I am about to get run over by a rock the size of a bus. Luckily it is settled. Sorta.



So the moral of the story is this. Yes, the day started out not so good. But after some time in the sunshine under that crystal blue sky, I was able to gain a little perspective. Because when it comes down to it most everything is better than getting crushed by a rock the size of a small house or a very large car.

And I think all in all, the day turned out pretty darn fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment