Background

Sunday, March 27, 2011

I Love Sundays

Not every day is the same. And not every Sunday is the same. But every now and then there is a day when I finish three hours of church and I am sad it's over.

Today I finished my stint filling in as the person who stands and waves my arm out of beat to the music for 300 people who don't watch anyway. Except the one guy in the 2nd row who spends most of the hour trying to catch my eye and pull faces to make me laugh. He said he did it to his wife (the one who asked me to fill in) so he felt like it was only natural that he should continue to torment me. I think I kept track and I averaged about 1 out of 4 songs that I actually got on the right measure, and 0 out of 4 songs that I sang the right words. Eh. The right words are overrated.

Today is also the day I found out a friend lost her mother-in-law this week. It wasn't totally unexpected but still hard to bear. Her husband is about my age, and it is hard to think of living without my mother. I miss her when she leaves for two months. I am sure everyone has a great mom, but I'm sorry that all but 5 other people are out of luck. Because me and my brothers and sisters actually won that lottery.


She has told us for years that all she ever wants for her birthday is to spend time with us. So we started listening. This was several years ago. We went up one of the canyons and enjoyed the leaves that were just starting to change colors. Another year, we went horseback riding. I think we've done that a couple of times, now that I think about it.


This is more recent. She is an adventurer at heart. She wanted to go paragliding when we were in New Zealand. So she did! I wish I had a quarter of her spunk. I am lucky she is my mom, and I am glad that I have her in my life.

5 comments:

  1. This is sweet! You do have a WONDERFUL mother! She leaves us in two days and we have been depressed just thinking about it. We love being around her too!...She cried again today talking about some of her regrets as a mother - I tried to assure her that she has some AWESOME children! - I hope I can be 1/4th the mother she is someday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always amazed at all the things she did with us as kids. I wish I had half the energy she does.

    I am excited that we get to have her here for a little while. The kids are all excited too!

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice post for your mom to read. Love your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No wonder you're so cool! I don't know anybody whose mom goes paragliding in New Zealand who isn't cool. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your mom is ALMOST as cool as my mom, who bungee'd off the Victoria Falls bridge in Africa. Our moms must be the reason we are so cool!

    ReplyDelete