Background

Monday, June 20, 2011

Typical

I love my mom for a million different reasons. (I know it was just Father's Day, but bear with me here.) My mom is an experimenter. In her kitchen recipes were used more as a guideline than strict rules to be obeyed. This brought us lots of good things - artichokes, asparagas, sour cream noodle bake, and many, many other dishes. Because of her I have no fear when it comes to conquring new recipes or unknown fruits and vegitables. On the other hand, I can't say that I am a fan of oatmeal pancakes or lemon bars with a whole-wheat crust. You gotta have a few failures to figure out what works and what doesn't. But I know trying the less-than-yummy stuff builds character!! I have lots and lots and lots of characther...

Yesterday was Father's Day, and my dad asked for sloppy joes for dinner. Ok! Easy. But then my sis decided to get a little creative in the kitchen. And following a recipe is for suckas...

The experiment started out as caramel pecan cinnamon rolls. (Thank you Food Network for making us crave evil food.) Only without the cinnamon rolls. We were going to do this gluten-free and the pizza crust the night before had not been a hit. So we decided to go with caramel pecan upside down cake. But why not take it one step further and make it caramel pecan PUMPKIN cake! So that is what happened. And I am pleased to tell you it turned out fabulous. I would show you a picture but it would just be a brown mess. With a white blob on top, because pretty much everything is better with whipped cream. Cake, ice cream, pumpkin caramel pecan cake, yogurt, fruit, cottage cheese, sloppy joes...ok, not the last one.

This experiment? Supreme success.

1 comment: