Background

Thursday, June 9, 2011

It Gets In Your Blood

For the record, I have no desire to be a crab fisherman. I watch Deadliest Catch and I want to be in that line of work about as bad as I want to walk through a pile of razor blades and stand in a puddle of lemon juice. So not a lot.

But I kind of get it, too.

The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore. - Victor Hugo



We personify the ocean as a woman.


She is beautiful.


She is temperamental.


Calming.


But she draws you in.


But she deserves a little respect. And if you turn your back on her, things can go terribly wrong.


One of my favorite things is the smell.


When you get near it, the smell wraps around you.


And the sound of the waves reaches your ears. Like listening to the heartbeat of the earth. It never stops.


Nature is the glass reflecting God, as by the sea reflected is the sun, too glorious to be gazed on in his sphere. - Brigham Young





Every couple of years I feel like I need to get a little dose. And then I will be all right for a little while.




Because the sea gets in your blood.




And you just have to roll with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment