Background

Saturday, July 2, 2011

In Remembrance

I don't know what it is like to be at war. I have never been at the battlefront.


But I know that it has been going on as far back as written record.


And the cost is high.


I'm grateful for those who came home.


Because so many did not.


I'm glad that we make an effort as a society to remember these places and honor those people who had to pay such a high price for our freedom.



"The solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the alter of freedom." Sometimes I think those who are left behind pay as high a cost in tears and suffering as those who leave.


This is my great-grandfather. He served in Europe in World War I.


I don't know what he went through "over there." I don't know what things he saw or how it changed who he was. But this time of year, he is the kind of man my thoughts turn to.


Wherefore, this land is consecrated unto him whom he shall bring. And if it so be that they shall serve him according to the commandments which he hath given, it shall be a land of liberty unto them; wherefore, they shall never be brought down into captivity; if so, it shall be because of iniquity; for if iniquity shall abound cursed shall be the land for their sakes, but unto the righteous it shall be blessed forever.  2 Nephi 1:7

4 comments:

  1. Great post Carol! Have an awesome holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I just wanted to tell you that I love your blog. It makes me happy and it also makes me think and sometimes both at the same time. I just wanted you to know I think you are great.

    ReplyDelete