Background

Friday, July 8, 2011

Conversations for a Quarter

I got home from work this afternoon and the kids across the street had a kool-aid stand set up. They are absolutely amazing neighbors and OF COURSE I support local businesses. So I went to buy a cup. Then I found out the bonus...they had taffy too! You could buy a cup of kool-aid for 25 cents and add a taffy for only 25 cents more. I stocked up on quarters before going outside so I settled in for as much as I could handle.

I knelt down on the grass and asked them what they wanted to get with their money. The little girl wanted legos, and her older brother wants a pot of gold.

Seriously. A pot of gold.

When I asked him more about the pot of gold, this is how the conversation went...

Me: "What are you going to buy with a pot of gold?"
Him: "Nothing."
Me: "What are you going to do with it?"
Him: "Bury it. In my sandbox. Then I am going to tell my friends I have it."
Me: "Aren't you worried one of your friends would take it?"
Him: "No." (Insert sound here that a kid makes when they think and adult is an idiot. With an eye roll.)
Me: "How are you going to keep it safe if they know where it is?"
Him: "I'll buy security cameras and install them."

Of course. Why didn't I think of that? The scheme is James Bond meets Jack Sparrow! He's a savvy little kid.

Two cups and three taffy flavors later, I had awesome conversation #2.

Her: (to me) "When are you going to leave?"
Me: "What?"
Her: "When are you going to leave?"
Me: "I don't know. Soon. Why?"
Her: "I don't think people are stopping because you are here."
Me: "Ok! I am leaving now!"

How can you argue with a 3 year old who has that kind of logic? I quickly made my exit so I would stop scaring away their customer base. And promptly texted their mom the highlights of our conversations. She shared in my laughter.

4 comments:

  1. Tell me one more time why you aren't my neighbor?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's because you didn't buy the house next door. But don't worry! You can still have a chance once they start doing something with the vacant lot right across the street!

    And when Tommy had a koolaide stand, I would totally buy taffy from him too.

    ReplyDelete