Background

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Some Thoughts on Gratitude

Over the last week and a half, I have had many many opportunities to think. Stress and grief and family "together" time give me reasons to examine some of the aspects of my life.

I am so grateful for my cousin, my aunt, and my uncle. I took for granted the work and planning that went into the services we had for my Grandmother back in August. And all of that at a time when they were struggling with the pain that comes with loss. Thank you. Thank you. thank you.

I have learned a little something about death. It's hard. And even 89 years of wonderful living does not prepare a person to leave this life. And 57 years together does not prepare a person to be parted from the one they love. I also don't think that anyone is too old to have hopes and dreams. I believe I will keep planning until the day I'm called to lay this body back to dust.

My family is my rock. It is hard to find the words to describe how much I can rely on them for strength. They can buoy me up mentally, physically, emotionally, and spiritually. We have the ability to make each other laugh by telling jokes at inappropriate times. I really think I would be lost without them. I am especially grateful for my sisters. They are cool beyond belief. And the brothers? Rock stars. Mom? A saint. Dad? The patience of Job.

I am grateful for my physical body. For all the things that I may consider flaws, it functions so marvelously for me on so many levels. I can walk. I can talk. I can reason and laugh and cry and read. I can yell and sing and touch.

It makes me feel good that I can do hard things. I will probably always have things that intimidate me, and that seem like they are beyond my capacity. But I have found that I have the ability to try things and fail. And sometimes I succeed!

And as a totally silly as it sounds, I am so grateful I can buy myself a Christmas present and be totally all right with it. That's all I have to say about that.

3 comments: