Background

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

More About Gratitude

On this last day of a month focused on thankfulness, it seems timely to take a few moments to think of some things that make me smile, brighten my life, and just generally improve my waking hours.


Language - It's hard to say how much language enriches my life. There is beauty and imagery in written forms. The spoken word evokes thought and can bring peace and comfort. This basic form of communication is something I love. I am grateful this passion led me to study language and literature.


Windows - I have spent the last couple of months at a desk on a floor that is above ground level. Natural light is a wonderful, beautiful thing. The sun rises and paints the mountains pink while the sky moves through shades of blue and lavender. And I get to watch it from the warmth of a climate-controlled building. When a storm blows in and the horizon disappears behind a veil of snow, I can experience it wrapped up in a quilt with a cup of cocoa.


Humor - A lot of life is un-fun. There is pain, rejection, hurt, and loss. Which makes me so grateful that I am often around people who help me see the humor in the small moments. Because I love to laugh. It has to be one of life's big blessings.

1 comment: