Background

Friday, April 20, 2012

Trying to Love

At the beginning of the year I decided on one word that would be the focus in my life and my goals this year. I picked the word love. I was attracted to the idea of finding and appreciating love that is in my life and all of the different facets of something that is such a universal emotion.

Even though I haven't posted much about this, there has been a lot of thought. Ponderings. Attempts at increasing love, appreciating love, and understanding love. More about all of those another day.

Today my question is how do I learn to love someone when I don't like them very much? Because I believe we are all part of the same human family, I think I have a vested interest in trying to find the part of someone that is worthy of love and appreciation. Don't get me wrong - there are a lot of people in the world who do awful things. I don't believe in being naive about situations or even individuals. But I do think that on some level, I ought to be able to respect every person I meet or know because I think they are my brother or sister.

But how do you accomplish this if someone is less-than-likable? Especially if you are in that person's presence on a regular basis and can't really try the absence-makes-the-heart-grow-fonder approach? I'm still working on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment