Background

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Happenings

Apparently I have posted too many pictures on my blog. It gives me a little warning that I have run out of space. So that means this post has absolutely zero pictures until I figure out what to do about that situation.

Fortunately, I am okay with the rambling monologues. I think I can fill in with words in the mean time.

I think one of the universal occurrences in every person's life - at least those of the female variety - is an occasional question of whether we are in the right place, doing the right things, at the right times. Or doing enough of the right things in the right places at the right times. I could probably be raising 10 perfect children in a perfect house while running a global non-profit organization to help abandoned animals, orphans, and victims of natural disasters. This would be at the same time that I was a perfect wife for my perfect husband in the most amazing neighborhood where we were on a first-name basis with every person within 5 blocks. I would simultaneously be working on my second doctorate in astrophysics with a minor in global peace and writing weekly letters to every member of my extended family complete with photos and personalized cards on every major (and minor) holiday. And if I managed all of that, I'm sure I would still feel like I wasn't doing enough. True story! So in my considerably less spectacular life, it should come as no surprise that I have moments and days when I struggle with the idea that my efforts to make a difference in my modest sphere are insufficient.

Some people are good at seeing through the completely dishonest answers of "I'm good! I'm fine!" And I had one such friend stop by this week. The chipper "I'm great" didn't really cut it for her, and she paused  in her day to take time to give me a hug and let me know it is all right not to be completely perfect and happy all the time. It is hard to tell someone how much these small moments can mean. They mean so, so, so much!

The next day, another neighbor sent her daughter over with cookies because I am occasionally sarcastic and it made her laugh. Who says Facebook doesn't foster good things??

Today in church three people mentioned me by name as helping them at one time or another. It was humbling.

I feel blessed. I do believe Someone is watching over me, who knows what I need and when I need it. This was one of those weeks when I felt those hands lift me up and let me know I am loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment