Background

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Sunday

Today we had a special session of stake conference. Instead of the normal 3 hour block of church, we had a two hour meeting. As I listened to the speakers, I took an opportunity to reflect.

First, on religion in general. I recognize that many rational minds believe religion is an opiate of the masses. That those who claim belief and faith are living in a kind of delusion. That religion is the essence of setting aside reason for fantasy and putting your hope in something you can't ever prove. I believe I am a rational person, and I feel my mind is perfectly suited to reason out the most complex problems. And my heart overflows with gratitude that I have reason to trust in more than my own self. In a very uncertain world, I feel blessed beyond measure that I have faith that can take me beyond mere reason and help me find hope, peace, and even joy.

Second, on temples. One of the best parts of making it through the teenage years and into adulthood is realizing just exactly how much my family means to me. I value the opinions, association, and support they give me - even those that differ from mine. And one of the points of doctrine that means so much to me as part of my faith is knowing that family ties extend beyond this life. That the roles of husband, wife, mother, father, brother and sister continue on after we die. If eternity really does stretch before us - and I think it does - I can't imagine a more crazy, kooky, wonderful bunch of people to spend it with than my family. I just might have to become a better loser at Canasta!

Last, on order. Science has always fascinated me. I love learning about the physical world around me, the way a human body functions, and the vastness of the universe. It always strikes me how very organized everything must be for things to function right. Yet life at times seems so chaotic. The best laid plans are shattered, and things never turn out quite like they should. In those moments, it gives me comfort that I may not see the underlying order that makes the moon and the planets all keep their rotation in space. I know that they do. And I may not understand the purpose behind all of the trials and challenges that come in life. But I think there is order there as well. And I will continue to pray and work for the patience to find it.

1 comment:

  1. Great families can agree to disagree, and allow others to express their opinions without ridicule, even when they disagree. So many families somehow can't learn this. I'm glad your has.

    Loves!

    ReplyDelete