Background

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Surgery

A week ago today I checked myself into the hospital for a "minor" procedure to have out my appendix, as well as anything else that was awry with my innards.

I guess a lot was awry.

This particular procedure I was told normally takes about an hour. Maybe an hour and a half in extreme cases. I was under the knife for three. Yikes!

I have been lucky and healthy in my life. I have never before been a patient at a hospital (except one brush with a black widow when I was 13). I have never had major surgery. I have never broken a bone or had general anesthesia. I count this as a pretty major blessing.

I have learned a few things over the last 7 days.

There are some pretty wicked amazing drugs out there. When the doctor tells you he is going to give you something to relax...he's not kidding. When he tells you he is going to give you something that will put you to sleep...he's not kidding about that either. Drugs can do amazing, miraculous things in this day and age. I am in awe at my brother's skill in being able to administer these types of heavy-duty concoctions  to those who (like me) need to be oblivious to the world for a while. He and all the others in the medical profession really do take lives in their hands every day. And so often it goes just as expected. Amazing.

There really is no such thing as minor surgery. Especially when it comes to general anesthesia. I probably shouldn't be ashamed to admit it (but I am)...I was nervous! Very. Like break-down-at-odd-moments-crying kind of nervous.

Things happen at their own speed. I wanted to be back up and at life in 3 days. I took 4 off of work and I thought that might have been a little excessive. Oh man oh man was I in for a shock. The first two days are a haze of pain and sleep and yes - maybe a few more tears. But slowly...agonizingly slow at times...this amazing body of mine has been healing. It really is a miracle what it can endure and how it can recover.

I have been overwhelmed by the number of people who care about me. Friends, neighbors, loved-ones, siblings, family, co-workers...all of them have reached out to let me know they were thinking of me and wishing me well. I was touched by every text, post, or e-mail. I can't promise that all of my responses were coherent...

Moms really are the best. I am a grown woman all independent and living a wonderful life. But my mom was there by my side for every step of the way. She waited in hospital rooms and uncomfortable chairs, drove me home in the middle of the night, slept in my room, set her clock so I wouldn't miss my next dose of medication, and didn't leave my side for 2 1/2 days. I didn't ask her to stay. She just did. And a week later she is still coaching and coming and just being a mom. It brings tears to my eyes to think of the love she has for me and the kinds of sacrifices she makes for her family.

Final verdict? Love is all around me. I am blessed!

1 comment:

  1. Best new year's resolution EVER.

    I'm glad you came through it OK and I hope you feel 100% better SOON! Surgery can really knock you flat, and I hope that whatever they were doing in there for so long was worth it. :D

    ReplyDelete