Background

Monday, December 31, 2012

End of the Year Musings

At the transition of a year, it is easy to take a few minutes and look back over what the last 12 months have brought to my life. Clear back at the beginning of this year, a friend of mine encouraged me to take a "one word" challenge and spend the year focusing on one specific goal, or at least using that word to help me find a common theme for all of my goals. I chose the word Love. It was a great experience and while many of the thoughts and growth are things I'll keep close, I hope it changed me in only good ways.

Since my first shot at this went so well, I want to give it another try this next year. And I am hoping my amazing and awesome friend does not mind if I forge a parallel path to her this year. As we talked about it, she told me the word she wants to focus on is Courage. I find myself equally in need of developing this particular trait, and I would like to join her in the journey. Or maybe Confidence. Decisiveness? It's a quandary!
Winter is fully here and I love the icicles that are hanging down from my roof. I think they frame the view of the mountains nicely.
I spent the holidays surrounded by my family, and - as always - I remember how much I love those I don't get to see very often. The little boys are so full of life. My brother and sister are both so kind, and my brother-in-law and sister-in-law bring so much to the mix! I am so grateful I get to be a part of their family.
This is about as close as my little niece would let me get to her. As long as she was safe in the arms of one of her parents or one of her handsome nephews (the girl loves men!!) she might consider letting me look at her. My mom later told me that this is karma coming back on me, because I did the same thing to my aunt at this age! Oh well. This little one is a doll with her head of long curly hair and eye lashes that go on for days. She's got my heart whether or not she wants me around right now! I'll win her over.
This little guy has personality like no one's business. He got a mummy book for Christmas. It is one he's checked out from the library before, and he has it memorized. He took it to a talent show and shared with all the other kids the different ways mummies can be made. "THIS one is frozen...and THIS one is dried...and THIS one is wrapped..."
I love that I have family close enough to celebrate milestones together. Birthdays and holidays mean so much more when you get to spend them with those you love.
It's not the size of the fish. It's the size of the fight IN the fish.
That's what I'll tell myself.
When the cold weather comes, I am glad that I get to look back and have minutes like this to pull from my memory bank. It warms my heart even if it doesn't chase the chill from my toes!
I continue to be grateful that I have such a wonderful job in such a great place. There is beauty around me every day, and the people are even better.

All in all, I have to say that this year has helped me appreciate so many blessings I have. There have been some challenges but I think those can make the good time all the better.









No comments:

Post a Comment