Background

Monday, August 8, 2011

Songs Not To Sing


This is my desktop photo today. No relation to the rest of the post. I just wanted a nice photo.

As of this morning, my grandmother is in the hospital. She had a heart attack Friday and is not expected to recover. This is not entirely sad as she is 97 1/2 years old and I think she is very ready to find out what is next. I am excited for her, and a little sad and sober for those she leaves behind - 2 sons, 1 daughter, 2 daughters-in-law, 1 son-in-law, 8 grandchildren (3 with spouses), and 11 great-grandchildren. She is an amazing woman who has served people all of her life through her chosen profession of nursing.


During our Monday devotional this morning we sang "Nearer My God To Thee." We hit the line "...angels to beckon me, nearer my God, to thee..." and I had a little bit of a hard time with that. Because that is what I wish for. I would very much like my Grandmother to have the opportunity to pass from this life to the next surrounded and welcomed by people she loves who have passed on before her - parents and grandparents, her husbands, brothers and sisters. That is my hope and prayer. So the line struck a little closer to my heart than it normally would.



Next time I am going to request "Popcorn Popping on the Apricot Tree."

3 comments:

  1. She's beautiful. So so beautiful. I wish you peace with whatever happens next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post. It was beautiful. I guess that is what makes this the hardest is the wish or maybe hope that someday she will realize how wonderful the possibility of an eternal family is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your grandma is ok. I know she will find great opportunities ahead. You will be in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete